Welcome!

"If you are out looking for the truth, leave elegance to the tailor" -A.Einstein

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Integrated Memory controller and its impact on Overclocking

I've noticed that Intel is more tolerant when it comes to populating all 4 DIMM slots. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that going from 2 x 1Gb to 4 x 1Gb necessitated no change in timings, voltages or anything else. Intel Tech docs said that modules can be run as a mix-n-match of single and dual channel SIMULTANEOUSLY. Now this is something very interesting and lacking with AMD. Is this the norm with Intel or am I just plain lucky?

So my question would be, is the AMD IMC really all that great as it is made out to be from an enthusiast perspective?


Check these out! Not bad for 2 x $60 sets huh?



A friend of mine with an AM2 system could not even get his rig to POST at the same timings. Although an IMC would probably do a lot towards increased memory throughput (a rather loose term in itself), I believe it would also hamper system stability in overclocked machines.

I still need more data and ideas on how to actually support my speculation...

No comments: