Welcome!

"If you are out looking for the truth, leave elegance to the tailor" -A.Einstein

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Capacitors, Capacitors and more Capacitors! Part -I

Anybody who wishes to recap a component is usually confronted by the same question, i.e.
"What capacitor should I choose as a replacement?"

The answer is not so simple and it varies from component to component. I'm going to document what I found, when it came to choosing capacitors for motherboards. The critical points of failure on a motherboard are the CPU VRM side, near the DRAM slots and the PCI/PCI-E/AGP slots.

There are several critical parameters that come into play when choosing capacitors. From what I have read, ESR and max Ripple current rating rank near the top. One may thing capacitance and voltage ratings are more critical, but it is not so.

Why? Find out next week... :)



No comments: